Keeping yourself organized requires effort and creativity. A clean and clutter-free home is more relaxing and easier to maintain. Get organized with these creative storage solutions for your home.
Shelving Storage Solutions
Storage space is essential in the living areas, kitchen, and bedrooms. Add shelving to create a place for your belongings. Areas of the wall and unused corners will become more functional.
Choose shelving based on what you need to store. Install floating shelves on the walls of the bedrooms or living room for displaying pictures and small knick-knacks.
Opt for industrial-strength shelving in the basement or garage if you need to store large bins of craft or cleaning supplies or sporting equipment.
Kitchen cabinets are essential for storing food, cookware, and small appliances. The cabinets can quickly become cluttered, making it difficult to find what you need.
Shop for storage solutions designed for cabinets. Purchase a tiered spice rack to store cooking herbs and spices. Alternatively, install a hanging rack on the wall. Choose attractive glass spice jars if you decide to store them in the open.
A lazy Susan is a great way to organize your cabinets and keep frequently used items within easy reach. Use this small rotating disk to hold cleaning supplies. When you need a product, turn the lazy Susan until the bottle or product you need is directly within reach.
Under-the-Stair Storage Solutions
Many homes have an unused area beneath the stairs. The options for this space are nearly limitless. No matter what you need to store, you will be able to modify the space for your belongings.
- If you don’t have enough cabinet space in the kitchen, use the area under the stairs as an extra pantry.
- Convert the space into a coat closet to store jackets, umbrellas, rain boots, and pet leashes.
- Alternatively, use the space beneath the stairs as a pet zone. Purchase airtight containers for pet food. Use a feeding mat to contain the food and water bowl. Add hooks to manage leashes, collars, and bags of pet toys.
Quick Tips for Storage Solutions
Learn to make the most of your existing spaces. Here are a few quick tips for creating more storage in your home.
- Install a fold-down desk. These desks mount to the wall and fold up when not in use. They offer an excellent space-saving solution for your house, especially if you work from home.
- Baskets are great storage solutions. You can decorate almost any area with baskets. They are available in a wide range of shapes, colors, and materials, making it easy to incorporate them for storage throughout your house.
- Use the space above the cabinets. Many homes have space between the top of the kitchen cabinets and the ceiling. Use this area for cookbooks, infrequently used appliances, and special-occasion glassware or dishes.
- Opt for multi-purpose furniture. Instead of single-use pieces, introduce furniture your family can use for another purpose. A drop-leaf table might be used as a buffet or a desk, depending on how it is arranged. A kitchen island can be used for food preparation, additional seating for guests, and as a workspace for homework or a home office. Some ottomans have a removable or hinged cushion covering a space inside that’s perfect for storage.
Creative storage ideas make your life easier and help you maintain a tidy home. Use these tips for inspiration to design your own functional storage spaces.
Monadnock Home Inspections offers inspections to home buyers and sellers in southern New Hampshire. Contact us to request our services.